Saturday, January 26, 2008

Tyler, TX

This was another one of those wonderful winter shoots.

It was rainy, cloudy and just a miserable week. One day, I'd just had enough and decided to get a haircut. I found this little barbershop right down from my hotel that had been in business since about 1968.

As I walked through the door, there was a man getting his hair trimmed in one of the two barber chairs, but something in the corner caught my eye. There was an older gentleman sitting in one of the chairs playing a guitar. Turns out, it's Cliff Lasseter. He owns Cliff's Precision Kuts and picks up his guitar whenever he has some free time.

Take note: this is why you should always carry your camera with you. At this point I realized mine was in the car. And before I could turn around and walk out the door, he had put down his guitar.

I missed it.

As he cut my hair, we got to talking about his guitar playing. We also talked about some other things, like the time he skinned a catfish in the bathroom of his barbershop for one of his friends. But most importantly, I told him I was going to come back and photograph him playing his guitar. And that's what I did.




One of my assignments was to photograph the Hudnall Planetarium on the campus of Tyler Junior College. I'd been to planetariums before and I was expecting his huge domed building with an incredible lightshow.

Not so much.

It was this tiny room that held about 50 people. I decided to be a little creative and do some lightpainting. I pulled out my trusty maglite complete with a little snoot made out of gaffers tape - I carry this with me whenever I travel - and set my camera on bulb. Tom Hooten, director of the planetarium, showed me how to run the lights and the projector. I was set. I did a couple of practice shots to get the exposure right and made a few atmospheric shots. I grabbed Tom and, about ten minutes later, had managed to make a couple of portraits of him.




No comments: