Saturday, March 1, 2008

Sure beats working for a living

When you do something you enjoy, it's no longer a job. And to think I was originally going to get a degree in business management.

Today, I finished working on a project in Monroe/West Monroe, La. I had the good fortune to meet some really nice people while I was here. Thanks again to Edmund and Brad for showing me around and helping me out on a few of the shoots.

I had a wide variety of assignments; from a local hunter named Kenny Solley, to the James Machine Works, to some of the local landmarks.

If you're in Monroe and get the chance, check out the Mohawk Tavern on Louisville Ave. Edmund and Brad took me there for lunch. It's been a Monroe staple for about 50 years and the decor hasn't change much in that time. After your eyes adjust to the dim lighting (just one fluorescent tube illuminating the dining room and I think it's the original bulb) check out all the memorabilia lining the place, especially the old, decaying boxing gloves hanging over the bar. And try the gumbo.

Also, check out the Biedenharn Museum and Gardens. Joe Biedenharn was the first person to bottle Coca-Cola and believed people should always be able to buy a Coke for a nickel. If you visit the Biedenharn, you can still buy a bottle of Coca-Cola for five cents. But be sure to only bring nickels, that's all the machines take.

Here are a few more images from this week.


This is me on the back of Kenny Solley's ATV as we head to the location for the photo shoot.







Layton Castle



St. Matthews Catholic Church



James Machine Works







Almost fell into the Black Bayou trying to get this photo.

No comments: