Thursday, August 28, 2008

I'm All Shook Up

Last month, I made my first real trip to Los Angeles. I was there covering the X-Games for my friends as ESPN.com. We were taking 360 degree panoramics of the venues for the EXPN.com website. (You can view the panoramics here. Just scroll down to 360 Course Galleries.)

On our first full day in LA, we got off to a fairly early start. Somewhere around 10am I believe. We headed  over to the Home Depot Center to check out the action but first had to stop and get breakfast. You can't work on an empty stomach. 

We relied on our Garmin gps to lead us to a quaint breakfast spot nearby, an IHOP in Compton. Halfway through our meal, we felt a little rumble. Kind of like a train passing by on the tracks next to the restaurant. Only there weren't any train tracks nearby. It was an earthquake. A 5.4 magnitude earthquake that shook the building and sent the hanging light fixtures swaying back and forth in the air.

Funny thing is, nobody panicked. Not even the three guys from Bristol, CT, and me, the naive southern boy. I think if any of the natives would have moved, the four of us would have been fighting for the space under our table.

It was business, or breakfast, as usual in Southern California.










No comments: