Sunday, November 2, 2014

Journey to the Center of Kyiv



KievMetro01
Obolon Station




The weather helped me decide to take a new photographic approach on my recent trip to Ukraine. It was cold and a little rainy at times and most of the trees had lost their leaves.

Not the best conditions for taking photos.

So, I decided to head underground.

I had become enamored with the Metro stations in Kyiv on my previous visits, each one seemed to be unique and beautiful in its own right. Even the Soviet-era themes had a simplistic beauty to them, from the mosaics of the Princes of Kyiv at Zoloti Vorota to the sculpted busts of famous Ukrainian scientists and writers at Universytet.

As my friend Olena worked, I grabbed a handful of metro tokens and my iPhone and set off.

Kyiv's Metro is a bargain compared to US subways. For 10 Hryvnia, you get 5 plastic blue tokens. Entrance to the Metro costs one token. When you consider the current exchange rate is 13 Hryvnia to $1, my three day journey to the center of Kyiv cost less than a Magic Snail Latte. (Magic Snail is my Ukrainian Starbucks where a large latte costs less than $2.)

The Metro consists of over 50 stations on three lines: the Red, the Green and the Blue. Constructed started after World War II and was the third rapid transit system built in the Soviet Union. It currently has the record for the deepest station in the world which is the Arsenalna station.

I didn’t make it to all of the stations. Some I bypassed due to the time of day, like the Dnipro station which overlooks the Dnieper River and has a beautiful view at sunrise. (Somehow I couldn’t get myself to get up that early.) Others, like the newer outdoor stations, start to look very similar in construction.

By any means, this project is far from complete and, luckily, I don’t consider this my last visit to Kyiv. Besides, work has started on a fourth line which should be completed in the next few years. And that means more stations to explore.

KievMetro02
Lybidska Station

KievMetro03
 Zoloti Vorota Station

KievMetro04
 Pecherska Station

KievMetro05
 Klovska Station

KievMetro06
 Vokzalna Station

KievMetro07
 Zoloti Vorota Station

KievMetro08
Ploscha Lva Tolstoho Station 

KievMetro09
 Lukianivska Station

KievMetro10
 Lukianivska Station

KievMetro11
 Arsenalna Station

KievMetro12
 Vydubychi Station

KievMetro13
 Druzhby Narodiv Station

KievMetro14
 Palats Ukrayina Station

KievMetro15
 Universytet Station

KievMetro16
 Universytet Station

KievMetro17
Universytet Station

KievMetro18
Shuliavska Station

KievMetro19
 Politekhnichnyi Instytut Station

KievMetro20
 Zoloti Vorota Station

KievMetro21
 Poshtova Ploscha Station

KievMetro22
 Pecherska Station

KievMetro23
 Minska Station

KievMetro24
 Maidan Nezalezhnosti Station

KievMetro25
 Livoberezhna Station

KievMetro26
 Arsenalna Station

KievMetro27
Minska Station

No comments: