Thursday, October 1, 2009

If At First You Don’t Succeed, Try, Try Again

This month’s worth of posts are dedicated to my buddy Ian. He’s been nagging me, trying to get me to post more frequently. So for the entire month of October, I’m going to try and post as many times as I can. So here goes....

One thing I do when I’m in a city is try and find as much local art as I can and photograph it. Most of the time it makes an ok picture, nothing really to write home about.

When I came across this piece in Asheboro, NC, I was able to make a decent frame, using a low angle, looking up into a blue sky and cleaning up the background. Not bad, but it could be better.




I decided to make another attempt and stop back when the sun was behind the sculpture and try and work it into the picture.

Again I tried for a low angle, trying to get a clean background and work the sun into the picture. I wanted it just at the tip of the finger.

No dice.

The sun was too low in the sky and, when I tried to position it at the fingertip, I started to get trees and buildings in the background.





I decided to give it one more try.

I shot a little bit earlier than my previous attempt and, bingo, I was able to get the sun positioned just at the fingertip and not have a cluttered and distracting background.





Here’s a rundown of my shots:

For my first attempt, I shot the picture with the blue sky at 8:50am. The sun was over my left shoulder.

For my second attempt, I shot the picture with sun behind the sculpture at 5:40pm. The sun was already too low in the sky to give me the angle I wanted.

For my last attempt, I shot the picture earlier in the day than the previous photo, about 4:25pm. This time everything lined up perfectly and I was able to get that little starburst at the end of the fingertip. To give me a little more definitive starburst, I closed down my aperture to f11.

You can use a special filter to give your light sources that starburst effect or you can stop down your lens to about f11-f22. The number of points in the starburst will depend on the number of blades in your lens.

No comments: