Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A Day Late and a Tripod Short



















I’d passed the ferris wheel set up in the parking lot a couple of times while I was in Danville, VA, shooting for the Images of Danville/Pittsylvania County, Virginia Magazine. Each time I’d make that mental note to check it out once the sun went down. And, as it always is, I was tied up with another shoot and never could make it back in time for sunset.

Finally, on my last night in Danville, I made it a point to try and get there in time.

Well, I got there. But it was a little late. The sun had gone down and I was in the final minutes of twilight. To make matters worse, I left my tripod in the car. Not wanting to waste precious time hiking back to the car for the tripod, I used a light pole as a brace and crossed my fingers the light pole and the built-in internal stabilization on the lens would provide me with a little help. To give myself a little bit more of an advantage, I fired the camera in bursts, hoping that the stars would align and one out of the four or five frames would be in focus.

I managed to get some frames in focus and make a couple of nice pictures. Not what I could have gotten if I was a little bit earlier and didn’t have a brain fart and left the tripod in the car. 

But, I guess on the bright side, this at least leaves room for improvement.


No comments: