Friday, March 23, 2012

Trust Me, Eat Here

PizzaPie3



If it weren’t for the picnic table perched atop the large brick and stone oven, I never would have noticed Scratch. It made be do a double take. Unfortunately, it was my last day in Johnson City, TN, and it would take me another year to get back. But the wait was well worth it.

Scratch Brick Oven is not your typical pizza joint. The jukebox is a turntable sitting next to a stack of vinyl and it’s totally self serve. It was also the first time I’ve ever seen my pizza weighed after its been cooked. I was told they do it for “inventory” purposes. Not sure I’d ever want to know the outcome.

You can get your pizza three ways: Trust, Limited Trust, or Make Your Own. With the trust, the pizza maker chooses the toppings for you and they can be a very eclectic mix, from homemade sausage to mandarin oranges and Granny Smith apples. Limited trust is crossing out what you don’t want on your pizza. And make your own is just that.

Either way, Trust, Limited Trust, or Make Your Own, you can’t go wrong.

Just don’t order a whole pizza by yourself. If you do, you’ll be eating pizza for the next several days out of the mini fridge in your hotel. Not that there is anything wrong with eating cold leftover pizza.

Trust me, I speak from experience.


PizzaPie2

No comments: