Friday, June 27, 2008

Barnstorming

The sign by the side of the road said "Biplane Rides."

The planes were in Wichita for the American Barnstormers Tour, a group of pilots who are taking their vintage aircraft on a whirlwind tour of America's Heartland.

And for $50, you could take a trip back in time.

Not to be left out, I plunked down my $50 for a ride with pilot Stuart "Cap'n Mac" MacPherson in his 1929 Travel Air 4000. Ironically, the plane was manufactured in Wichita, "Air Capital of the World."

I climbed into the front cockpit with my flying partner. It looked very similar to the car of a roller coaster: a bench seat, a seat belt and an "Oh Jesus" bar. The only exception being the air sickness bags taped to the side of the cockpit.

I was expecting a casual flight, but after a couple of sharp turns and one dip too many, I came close to needing one of those bags.

Cap'n Mac completed ride the by buzzing a farmer's field, then swooping skyward to clear a set of power lines and then dropping again to bring us in safely to Jabara Airport.

What a ride.






No comments: