Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Eyes Have It in Abingdon, Virginia




I love it when I get to travel to some place new.


Last week I was in Southwestern Virginia, in a small town called Abingdon. I was there working on the Images of Washington County, Virginia Magazine.


Abingdon, or even Washington County for that matter, is probably not on the back of your mind as some place you’ve visited. But it should be a place you at least drive through and check out.


When I’m traveling to a new community, I try not to go in with any preconceived ideas. My goal is to spend the week getting lost, literally. That’s how I find some of the photos I take. They’re not the ones on the shot list. It’s just something I’ve stumbled upon.


That’s what happened when I took this picture.


I was actually on my way to grab dinner and just happened to glance across the road and see this unusual sign. It had that cool neon light to it. It was just after sunset and twilight had started to fill the sky, which means it wouldn’t be a picture much longer. It’d just be a neon sign against a dark sky.


I made a quick U’y and pulled into the parking lot of the Tri-City Opticians in Abingdon, VA.


The sky was a nice shade of blue, but I decided to give it a little more punch. I switched my white balance to tungsten and grabbed a few frames. That’s about the time my stomach started growing and reminded me of the priorities at hand: dinner.

No comments: