Tuesday, April 27, 2010

In My Defence in Abingdon, Virginia






Call it a fascination with shapes if you want. But, sometimes, when I’m taking pictures, I find myself looking more at the graphic elements that I see through the viewfinder than the image itself.


As I was walking along the Virginia Creeper Trail looking for people photos, I came across these fences. (They’re actually one huge fence surrounding a farm just off the trail.) I was fixated with the lines they created and wanted to find a way to incorporate them into a picture.


But it doesn’t have to be straight or intersecting lines. Even the curving ridge of a hillside can catch my fancy. These shapes may make for interesting photos, but they can help the viewer move through the photo, too. It’s a lot like following the bouncing ball across the screen.


As a photographer, you hope the viewers find your pictures interesting and worth a closer look. Let them study it for a little while like it’s an abstract painting. You only hope it doesn’t lead them off the page and onto something new.

No comments: